Installation procedures for vinyl or decals only:
All surfaces are contaminated to some degree. To ensure good adhesion to any vehicle surface it is critical that you follow these recommended procedures in decontaminating and preparing the surface prior to any vinyl product installation.
- 1. Wash and rinse the area with liquid dish detergent and warm water. Then dry the vehicle surface with a clean, lint-free towel or cloth.
- 2. Finish up the cleaning process by wiping down the entire area with Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol). To avoid recontamination during the final cleaning step, wipe the surface in just one direction, using a clean, lint-free towel or cloth. You are now ready to apply the vinyl.
Surface temperatures should be between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit before attempting the installation. As a general rule, if the surface is hot to the touch it's over 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Adhesive becomes brittle when it gets too cold and gummy when it gets too hot. Applications outside the recommended range of 50 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit reduce the adhesives' ability to perform.
The best application method is the dry surface technique. Be very careful when applying your new vinyl graphic. Once the vinyl touches the surface, there is no removal without damage.
- Place tape on all four corners of the graphic with one long piece of tape directly in the middle. The tape we recommend using is the 3m Blue tape or a masking tape.
- The center tape will be used as a "hinge" effect.
- Remove the white backing with one hand while holding the transfer tape and vinyl with the other hand.
- Pulling slightly lay down the graphic while using the squeegee to smooth out the bubbles.
- Perform steps 3 and 4 for opposite side.
- Give one last squeegee over the entire graphic and remove transfer tape.
- Allow graphic to set for 5 to 15 minuets after applied and transfer tape removed.